(c)Tero Virta, 1995-2009

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Misc Cabriolet Stuff


Started assembling some easy parts to get the car look like a Beetle again :) Most of the parts I stored when teared the car apart now look like shit when compared with new paint, new repro parts and some NOS goodies. Damn..


NOS steering lock and proper NOS 6-wire indicator switch with powder coated steering column. I got very nice deal of powder coating various parts from Tmi Jouko Koli near Hyvinkää. I was going to use my EMPI GT wheel, along with some NOS EMPI stuff like EZR shifter and wooden dashboard knobs etc, but not so sure anymore since the ivory looks very good against the red and would like to keep the number of different colours minimal.

We teared the old Cabriolet top apart yesterday since it also requires little bit of tweaking and new paint. The top frame was actually far better than I have thought, first such surprise in this project :) Since the amount of shit in my life is static, I wonder what other surprise I am going to face in near future..


I hadn't realized that the wooden top parts were originals in my car, they're bit busted though. The wooden part around the rear of the body was totally shot and it was a small miracle how it managed holding the rear of the top in place over the years. I was going to replace all wooden parts except the header bow but now also the quarter window facings look still usable. CSP parts that I had bought couple of years ago were also nice surprise qualitywise, or actually not, since CSP-stuff has't never let me down. Originals on the left, very good match in shape. (Thanks Helge!)

One task that I am not looking forward is polishing the better set of Earlies. I am going to use 4.5" and 5.5" combination.

No comments: